Operation New Bathroom: The Reveal

3 Mar

Our new guest bathroom is finally complete! Its been a labor of love and we did every single thing in this room ourselves except for the electrical rldrk, so we are especially proud.

Before we show all the after pictures, let’s reminiscence about how it looked when we moved in.

Pink bathroom beforeWe demo’d it completely soon after and started from a clean slate.

And now here is our brand new guest bathroom!

IMG_2632

IMG_2645

IMG_2646

IMG_2647Since the last bathroom update, we added our DIY towel ladder (step-by-step here) and decorated the vanity with baskets, towels, etc. We also added pulls to the top to look like a drawer.

IMG_2672We hung a couple large wooden keys above the toilet and added a little tray over the toilet which holds a blue Ball jar full of cotton swabs, a candle and some shells. We brought in a little bit of Ben’s homeland with the kina shells from New Zealand.

IMG_2640

IMG_2638

Ben installed a beautiful new window and we hung an inside mount bamboo shade from Home Depot.

IMG_2642

Just for fun, I put together this little collage of all of the little details of the room.

Bathroom collageWe’re so happy with the way everything turned out, and are even happier to call the first space at 12 Oaks D-O-N-E!

If you want to see how we got to the big bathroom reveal, check out Part I (drywall, tile backer, lights), Part II (tile, grout, wood wall planks) and Part III (vanity, trim, sconces, fixtures).

Finally, I wanted to share a big ole source list, including paint and grout colors, for anyone who is wondering where to get anything.

Wall paint: Benjamin Moore’s Palladian Blue; floor tile: white marble from Home Depot, tub/shower tile: white subway tile from Home Depot, vanity (including marble top): Home Depot/Decorators (also available on Amazon here); faucet: Delta from plumbingdepot.com; shower curtain: Kohls; light fixtures and “hidden” fan: Home Depot; towel ladder: DIYed for $16 (here’s how); toilet: Glacier Bay from Home Depot; mirror: Home Decorators; floor mat: World Market; bamboo blinds: Home Depot; bathtub/shower fixtures: Delta from Home Depot; grout: Mapei’s Frost color; baskets and over toilet tray: World Market; faux flowers: World Market; soap pump: Target; Ball jar: Antique find from Lake Geneva, WI; flower vase: TJ Maxx (similar one from World Market); tissue holder: Home Goods; clam shell: Fiji from our honeymoon; starfish: Michaels; wooden keys: Grandinroad; sconces (including vintage light bulbs and glass shades): Lowe’s; striped towels: Pottery Barn; white and gray towels: Target; glass canister set: Crate & Barrel; white pot and faux plant: Ikea; toilet paper holder: Moen from Plumbing Depot; kina shells: New Zealand; window: Studio 41; curved shower rod: Home Depot.

I think that covers about everything. Now on to the next million projects which include the last spare bedroom which was being used as a work zone for the bathroom, new windows, taking out the main wall in the living room and an addition. Yup, big plans.

153 Responses to “Operation New Bathroom: The Reveal”

1. ribittone@gmail.com March 4, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Beautiful bathroom! What a transformation… great job!!

• 12oaksblog March 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Thanks so much!

• Julia June 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I found a picture of your bathroom on pinterest tonight and it was love at first sight. Very calm and clean. My husband and I have been married for only a few weeks now, and will soon be in the market for a new house – most likely a fixer-upper. Your blog will definitely be a go-to for inspiration and ideas! Thank you!

• 12oaksblog June 6, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

Congrats on the new marriage and good luck in your search for a fixer-upper. Those are the best kinds (and the cheapest!).

2. Dory March 4, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Absolutely enchanting! Amazing job! I LOOOOVE those keys!

3. Tricia @ Simplicity In The South April 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Your guest bath is absolutely gorgeous! I love every detail!

4. Leigh Anne April 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

I love everything about this bath! I’m so glad I found your blog!! We gutted our bathroom that was almost a dead ringer with yours. You can see it here: http://radiobutlers.blogspot.com/2012/04/bathroom-reveal.html

• 12oaksblog April 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Haha you’re right..that god awful pink tile. What were they thinking?? Thanks for stopping by!

5. Robin April 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

Hi! I came over from Beneath My Heart to see your amazing makeover! Your new bathroom looks absolutely nothing like the old one! Every detail is perfection ~ xo

6. Michele April 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Love the plank walls… what material did you use?

7. Mary Jane April 2, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Love the bathroom!

• 12oaksblog April 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Thanks Mary Jane! Glad you like it.

8. Jena (@InvolvingColor) April 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Oh wow, your bathroom looks SO good! I thought for sure when I saw this on Pinterest it would take me to BHG or other similar site…seriously! I love everything about it, and Palladian Blue was the perfect color choice (it’s a favorite of mine). I’d love to feature this on my paint color blog. You wouldn’t have to do a thing, just let me know if you’re interested!

• 12oaksblog April 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Jena- Thanks so much for your comment. I am totally IN! Dropped by your blog quickly…would love to be featured! Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again, Amanda

9. Jacki April 3, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Your bathroom is just lovely!

• 12oaksblog April 5, 2013 at 9:32 am #

Glad you like it Jacki- thanks for stopping by!

10. Angie April 8, 2013 at 2:05 am #

This might be an odd question to ask but I was wondering if you had an estimate on how much you spent in that bathroom Reno for bare bones supplies (floor tile shower tile planks drywall). My husband and I are diyers and am debating just new bathroom countertop or gut it. Our bathroom is almost exact same size and layout from what I can tell. Thanks!

11. Kristin@FavoritePaintColors April 11, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Amanda – I just came across your blog via pinterest and just want you to know I adore your bathroom. I especially love the paint color and just wanted you to know I featured your bathroom on my blog today. Thank you so much for the inspiration – I just became a follower via e-mail. Have a wonderful day!

• 12oaksblog April 11, 2013 at 11:27 am #

This is awesome thanks so much Kristin! I’m following your blog now, too. So glad you found us!

12. DecorateWithaLittleBit.com April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am #

oh my word! what a lovely transformation. I’m pinning this and will be following you via Bloglovin’ (found you through House of Turquoise) Little Bit

13. Chaney April 18, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Found you via House of Turquoise! LOVE the bathroom transformation. It’s so tastefully cottage-y (does that make sense?). Can’t wait to poke around your blog some more!

• 12oaksblog April 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

Thanks Chaney! I totally know what you mean. Added you to my reader, look forward to seeing some of your projects!

• Chaney April 19, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Aw, thanks! Then you’ll see that I included your bathroom in my “Lovely Links” post today! 🙂 Hope that’s alright with you. Have a great weekend!

• 12oaksblog April 19, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Sweet off to check it out. Thanks!

14. sarah April 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

i LOVE it!!

15. sherry hart April 18, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

Very cute! Love the colors and all of the tile and fixtures…..great job!

16. Laura April 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

Hi, Love the bathroom makeover! I have the same pink tile in my bathroom. Love the wood planks. Did you use any special type of paint other than BM Palladian on them? Was just wondering about the steam and water in a bathroom.
    Thanks,

Laura

• 12oaksblog April 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Thanks Laura! We used both an oil based primer and oil based paint. The paint finish was satin (which is good for wiping and withstanding moisture). We also have a fan that always runs when the light is on so there won’t be too much moisture hanging around. Hope that helps!

17. Jillian April 24, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Gorgeous!! You guys did an excellent job. I just love the wood plans & the ladder. We almost bought the same vanity from HD, but it was a little larger than we wanted. I still love it though – it looks great in your space! I just posted our finished bathroom on Monday 🙂

• 12oaksblog April 24, 2013 at 9:27 am #

Thanks Jillian! Off to check your bathroom reno. .

18. Sheila Pearson April 26, 2013 at 9:08 am #

wondering if you could share where you found your shower curtain? It would be perfect in my bathroom as I have similar colors and I need to find something quick. Thanks so much!

19. Phillip Bon April 26, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Good colour match!

20. athenasbysherry May 7, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

I am so happy to have come across your blog. We are renovating a 1751 and have your exact bathroom layout complete with coral instead of rose colored bathroom fixtures. I am always on the look out for a renovation that would work in our bathroom when we rip it down to studs! I love everything about your renovation and the pics our now pinned on our dream board for the house. Curious how much the reno ended up costing?

21. heather May 20, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Do you remember the name or part number for the sconces? They’re beautiful!

22. rottieprncs May 25, 2013 at 8:03 am #

Beautiful!! Just wondering, I noticed the baseboard heating was gone… how’d you manage that?
    Ps. I just started following you 😀

• 12oaksblog May 25, 2013 at 9:51 am #

The duct runs through the floor and they had a “boot” that turned it and put it into the wall. So Ben removed that boot and put in a floor register boot. He said this was very simple. The only issue you would have is if your are not renovating the whole room you will have a hole in your wall where the old register was. If you are handy you should be able to do it yourself. Hope this helps a bit and thanks for following!! 🙂

23. Christie July 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

Hi!

Your bathroom is awesome! What paint did you use for the trim, crown, etc.?

24. Beth August 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I love your bathroom, thanks for sharing! I would love to get a double sink with that vanity. I checked the Home Decorators website, but couldn’t find your model. Do you know the name of it or have a link?

25. Hillary August 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

Just gorgeous! Well done!

26. brianne September 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! the vanity is perfect for my bathroom and I can not find it anywhere ive searched and searched any help Please its not showing up on home depot site??

• 12oaksblog September 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks Briane. It’s from Home Decorators and called the Montaigne Bath Vanity.

27. AJ October 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

I am SO in love with the lighting in your bathroom. Do you have any idea who made them or anything? I’ve looked through the wall lighting on home depots website till I’m almost cross eyed lol!

• 12oaksblog October 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Sorry I don’t know the brand but they came in a pack of two and were really cheap like $20 or less. Then we bought the glass shades separately also from Home Depot. We got them in store. Hope that helps a bit!

• 12oaksblog November 7, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

I was just at Lowes and realized that’s where they came from so sorry!! The brand is called Portfolio and they were $18 each. I hope you can find them!

28. Cindy November 18, 2013 at 6:24 am #

I am unable to find the vanity anywhere. Could you send me the dimension . My husband can build it. I need the size of sink top too. Thank you. Love this bathroom.

• 12oaksblog November 18, 2013 at 9:21 am #

The vanity is from Home Decorators and called the Montaigne Bath Vanity.

29. Dena January 22, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Love everything about this ! Do you remember who makes the vanity… No longer see it on the website you posted.

• 12oaksblog January 22, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

Thanks Dena! The vanity is from Home Decorators and called the Montaigne Bath Vanity.

30. Jazmine January 26, 2014 at 9:04 am #

Is there any way that you could provide more installation info for the planking? Yours looks so seamless. All the other tutorials online look pretty amateur.

31. Suzanne January 27, 2014 at 7:47 am #

Your bathroom turned out gorgeous! Love every amazing detail. The subway tile, the blue planked walls and the vanity. Just beautiful!
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes

32. Barbara Broom March 16, 2014 at 11:15 am #

Love this. We have one almost the same except the tile is blue rather than pink. Shows there is hope!

33. Linda @ Home is Where My Heart is March 16, 2014 at 11:35 am #

Your bathroom is absolutely beautiful. I love everything about it. My favorite is the wall color. I also love the vase. Great job!!

34. Jana March 16, 2014 at 2:23 pm #

I have a pink tile bathroom in my 1948 rambler…on the floor and on the walls. It’s a little half bath. We have bigger fish to fry in this house (like the blue and red tiled full bath) in this house so it will probably stay that way for awhile. I love what you’ve done!!

35. Bethany Lee (@PitterAndGlink) March 16, 2014 at 7:14 pm #

Simply stunning!

36. Jess May 9, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I’m not even sure how I found your blog but I am so glad that I did! I had pinned this bathroom a while ago, but it just showed the image, not the site {I’ve corrected my pin now;-)}.

Love this bathroom; so excited to know where you found the black faucet/fixtures.

• 12oaksblog May 10, 2014 at 7:30 am #

Glad you found us Jess! The fixtures are oil rubbed bronze (not black) from Delta purchased at Home Depot and plumbing depot.com.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How to Make a Rustic Ladder to Hang Towels/Blankets | 12 Oaks - March 4, 2013

[…] And here is our DIY-version in the newly remodeled guest bathroom (sharing big bathroom reveal later this week). Update: Bathroom revealed here! […]

2. Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue Bathroom with Plank Walls | Involving Color - April 8, 2013

[…] I first saw this bathroom by 12 Oaks, I thought I was looking at a feature from a magazine! It has so much character, and they DIYed the […]

3. 6 Month Progress Report | 12 Oaks - April 26, 2013

[…] This is the only room I’m calling “After” instead of “Current” because it is 100% done. We’re pretty proud of this space especially since its the reason we are getting most of our blog traffic because of people finding it on Pinterest and other blogs. You can get all the bathroom details here. […]

4. 12 Oaks Banyo Armut Koltuk - Armut Minder - April 28, 2013

[…] turkuaz? Her şey Turkuaz … gün boyunca birkaç kez güncellendi! kontrol Renk tarafından Dekor daha da […]

5. Favorite “PINS” Friday! | Beneath My Heart - May 24, 2013

[…] source […]

6. Home Decor Mix (Gallery of 25 photos) | The Home Touches - July 21, 2013

[…] Love everything about this. 13 […]

7. An Adorable Bathroom Makeover | The Home Touches - October 6, 2013

[…] An Adorable Bathroom Makeover […]

8. Home Goals: How We Did & 2014 Goals | 12 Oaks - January 8, 2014

[…] 1) Put in Upstairs Hall Bathroom. Check! We completely gutted and re-did the bathroom. It is one of my favorite spaces in the house and has turned out to be quite the Pinterest sensation, lol. Full tour here. […]

9. I want that towel rack. And I'm loving that sink. Actually I love this whole bathroom | DECOR8TION-ideazDECOR8TION-ideaz - January 15, 2014

[…] Source […]

10. El antes y el después de un baño | DECORAPOLIS - January 17, 2014

[…] y hoy os traigo la transformación de un baño de manos de Ben y Amanda del inspirador blog 12 Oaks. Los que me conocéis desde hace un tiempo sabéis que mi gran pasión es restaurar muebles, […]

11. The Perfect Paint Palette - January 28, 2014

[…] Source […]

12. Favorite Pins Friday! - Beneath My Heart - February 17, 2014

[…] source […]

13. Top 10 Posts and Paint Colors of 2013 | Test site for favoritepaintcolorsblog.mystagingwebsite.com - March 26, 2014

[…] of Homes. Great paint colors and home décor ideas. Number 3 Palladian Blue by Benjamin Moore 12 Oaks Number 4 Contented by Sherwin Williams Wives Unscripted Number 5 Paint color combination for […]

14. 10 Awesome Small Bathroom Ideas - June 14, 2014