Operation New Bathroom Part II

18 Feb

It’s been a few weeks since I updated you on the guest bathroom, so here it goes….

When I last left off we had hung drywall, tile backer, installed lights and then put in the underfloor heating.

IMG_2282

We now have all the tile laid and grouted and the wood wall planks hung, primed and painted.

Here’s what things are looking like as of this morning.

IMG_2505

The wall color is Palladian Blue by Benjamin Moore. We went with the classic white subway tile in the shower. The grout color for both the shower and floor is Frost by MapeiIMG_2506

IMG_2486

Didn’t Ben do an amazing job on that tile work? He laid it all himself and I helped grout, which was a lot easier than I had imagined. Just mix, trowel into all the crevices, and then wipe the excess away with a big sponge. Just watch out for any air bubbles. Seriously, if I can do it, you can do it.

photo-94

Ben installed all the tongue and groove wood on the walls and we painted it over the weekend. He also installed that 1″x 1″ in piece of wood where the wood and tile butt together (seen above). Genius, I tell ya.IMG_2507

Here’s a look at the room before paint. Quite the difference a coat of paint makes!IMG_2458

We’re really happy with the way it’s coming together!

IMG_2502

Next up: baseboard, crown molding, patching and painting the ceiling, and then installing the toilet, vanity and sconces. Almost there!

22 Responses to “Operation New Bathroom Part II”

1. Sarah Meyer April 4, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Does the plank wall come as one piece or separate planks? How did you affix it to the drywall? I am so impressed, and I love the color you painted and the beachy theme. I may have to go to New Zealand to get those shells!

2. ddelamatter April 25, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Love your bathroom! I’m trying to convince my husband to go for the wood plank walls for our upcoming reno. He wants to know if you taped and mudded the drywall before installing the wood planks. Thanks for the help!

• 12oaksblog April 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

No we didn’t. You don’t even need drywall behind the planks, it can go directly on the studs. I just decided I wanted the wood after we had already hung the drywall. Good luck with your husband!!

3. Kiffany September 18, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

What did you do in the corner where the wood planks meet? It looks like some kind of chaulking.

thanks

Kiffany

4. Jazmine January 26, 2014 at 8:39 am #

I hope you see this even though it’s way after you posted this but you say you nailed the planks to the drywall but I don’t see any nail holes. What exactly did you do to get it to look so seamless? How did you guys install the 1×1 where the planks and tile meet?

• 12oaksblog January 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

You don’t nail through the face of the board but on an angle from the tops of the boards. Hope that helps!

5. Sarah April 15, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

Your bathroom is gorgeous! Maybe I missed it but what is the tile?

6. Lindsey September 8, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Love love love! I am working on my bathroom now! I’m using the white subway tiles from HD too. What size spacers did you use if you don’t mind me asking. I’m also reconsidering my grout color after seeing this – mine might be too dark!

• 12oaksblog September 9, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Thanks! We used 1/8 spacers. Good luck!

7. Stefany Behrendt Beals January 12, 2015 at 12:54 pm #

LOVE this and am applying a lot of this to the bath we’re gutting. Thank you!

8. Erika February 16, 2015 at 11:31 pm #

Did you seal the carsiding with some kind of urethane to help protect against moisture?

• 12oaksblog February 17, 2015 at 8:04 am #

No we did not

9. Nayoung October 22, 2015 at 10:16 pm #

Your bathroom and other renovations are just beautiful! I’m currently trying to decide on the details of a bathroom remodel with white subway tiles. And your post is inspiring. Can you tell me what you used as the bottom piece in your shower niches? Thank you!

• 12oaksblog October 23, 2015 at 6:11 am #

Thank you. We used a small piece of granite.

10. Cinde January 15, 2016 at 3:37 am #

Looks great! Did you paint the planks with primer prior to applying the Palladian Blue paint? What sheen of paint did you use, and how many coats did it take to cover the wood? Thank you!

11. Eneyda May 1, 2016 at 3:08 pm #

Your bathroom is beautiful & I am excited that I found this I am hoping that you see this message, I’m curious to know if you had any issues with the wood and moisture? My husband is actually renewing our bathroom and he wants to do this to the ceiling nailed directly to the studs? beams? Anywho, I’m worried of moisture & possible mold. Any suggestions?

• 12oaksblog May 1, 2016 at 3:38 pm #

We haven’t had any issues. We primed everything – all sides and cut ends which seals it. Good luck.

12. Jess December 16, 2016 at 8:14 am #

We had our contractors put up car siding in our bathroom as well (after seeing this blog post actually!). However now that winter is here a couple of the boards have horrible cracks along the grooves. They tried patching them but they just recrack. I have a feeling we’re going to have to tear the whole thing out. It’s on the wall our vanity, lights and toilet are in front of. I’m so disappointed 🙁

• 12oaksblog December 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm #

Oh no, that sucks. Did they have the wood sit in your house to acclimate before they hung it?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Operation New Bathroom: The Reveal | 12 Oaks - March 3, 2013

[…] want to see how we got to the big bathroom reveal, check out Part I (drywall, tile backer, lights), Part II (tile, grout, wood wall planks) and Part III (vanity, trim, sconces, […]

2. Kitchen Chronicles: DIY Tongue and Groove Plank Ceiling | Jenna Sue Design Blog - February 3, 2016

[…] Option 3 is the real deal—using tongue and groove wood planks, like Ben & Amanda did in their bathroom reno: […]